Do you love the sunshine feel the colour yellow brings, but not sure which shade to choose?
Today we’re talking about decorating with shades of yellow paint and where they work best. Yellow isn’t always mellow, it can be dramatic, daring and debonair too! If you come up with interesting combinations with other colours, decorating with shades of yellow paint will surprise you no end.
It is important to get complimentary colours right; whether walls, floors or furnishings, otherwise yellow paint can be a little tiring. Hallways and rooms without windows can benefit from strong shades of yellow which will create an illusion of light. Soft subdued yellow is often used in kitchens or nurseries to create a calm quiet place to start the day or begin a new life.
Here in Ireland where grey days outnumber blue skies and sunshine, decorating with shades of yellow paint will brighten up your space without overwhelming it. If you do have a room that is flooded with sunlight when it does shine, a shade of yellow with a brown or reddish undertone will compliment the natural light to give the room a warm feel. Whereas using a yellow with a blue or green hue can look cold in this bright room.
Did you know decorating with shades of yellow paint can induce optimism, happiness, promote communication and spark creativity?
Control the hue when decorating with shades of yellow paint and you control the mood of the room.
- Muted yellow works well as a soothing neutral.
- A sun-kissed yellow brings the warmth of summer inside your home.
- A pale yellow can make a small room feel larger.
- Buttery yellow walls add a warm cosy glow to the room.
- Muted yellow walls can make a room feel peaceful.
- Yellows that have a rich brown or slightly reddish undertone emit a warm feel to the room.
- Mix yellow with green to give your decor an outdoorsy feel.
- For the highest contrast compliment yellow walls with purple furnishings and accessories for a nostalgic feel.
- Mixing yellow with an apple green or aubergine, for instance, can make your room lively and new.
The pastel yellow walls in this sunny bathroom compliment the vintage style furnishings.
While this painted Victorian style set of drawers can really compliment a bedroom or upstairs hallway.
The best thing about decorating with shades of yellow paint is that yellow goes with nearly every other colour… white, orange, green, pink, blue, brown and more. Plus the wide spectrum of yellow shades gives you complete flexibility to instil a feel-good ambience into any room you decorate.